Sunday Morning Worship | Carl McCray, Pastor
This is the fourth sermon in the “Road Rules” series. We have been going through chapter 10 of the Gospel of Mark and discussing different conversations of Jesus. In these moments, Jesus gave us some life principles. You could call these life lessons or rules for the road. To view the first three sermons and learn about Rules 1, 2 and 3, visit our website pages below.
- Road Rules: The Gift (Mark 10:13-16 – The Little Children and Jesus)
- Road Rules: Surrendering Our Security Blanket (Mark 10:17-31 – The Rich Young Ruler)
- Road Rules: The Path Rarely Taken (Mark 10:32-45 – The Request of James and John)
Today’s lesson and Road Rule #4 is found in the story about the blind beggar named Bartimaeus and his life changing faith. Blind Bartimaeus was sitting by the road begging when Jesus and His disciples, along with a crowd of people, walked by. When Bartimaeus realized it was Jesus, he began shouting to Jesus and asking for mercy. Many people told Bartimaeus to be quiet, but he shouted more! In verse 51, Jesus said to the blind man, “what do you want me to do for you?” Bartimaeus had a lot of faith in Jesus and the courage to ask for it all. He asked to be able to see. Jesus answered him, “your faith has healed you.” It was God’s will that Bartimaeus receive his sight. God responds to faith. This leads us to Road Rule #4: Faith Produces Miracles.
God’s word tells us in 1 John 5:14-15, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.” There’s nothing wrong with asking for it all! The problem is that sometimes we don’t ask at all.Here’s a few observations from the account of Bartimaeus.
- Put yourself on the right path. Bartimaeus was sitting by the roadside begging. He put himself in a place for opportunity. Are you putting yourself in a place of opportunity? Are you on a path that God will bless? If not, get off that path and get on the right path.
- In God’s Kingdom, all have value. It doesn’t matter who you are, you’re important to God! You matter. God has a plan for you just like He had a plan for Bartimaeus.
- Sometimes you have to ignore the crowd. If Bartimaeus had listened to the crowd that tried to quiet him, he would have missed the miracle. The crowd is often times trying to lead us the wrong way. Listen to God.
How can we have life changing faith like Bartimaeus? We can have that kind of faith by:
- Fixing our eyes completely on Jesus (verse 47)
- Letting go of everything (verse 50)
- Ask for it all (verse 51)
- Following through (verse 52)
The Bible says after Bartimaeus received his sight, he immediately started following Jesus. Are you following Jesus?
Watch the video below or listen to the MP3 audio of the full sermon and be blessed.